Chris has been playing Guitar for over 20 years. He has been teaching for the last 10. With regards to learning music he is an autodidact. Over this time he has had the honour and priviledge to meet and play with many great musicians, often through playing in bands, & in jam sessions.
His primary instrument is electric guitar, but he also plays Acoustic and classical, bass guitar, piano and drum kit.
In Edinburgh, Scotland
1996-99 – Lead Guitar with Bombskare 10 piece Ska band,
– Led Zeppelin cover band
– And original improvisational 3 piece blues band
In Australia, Magnetic Island / Townsville
1999-00 – Duo with Pete Horton, Lead guitar.
2000-03 – Busker in Townsville, Australia – lead/rhythm guitar, singer
2000-04 – Session Drummer / bass player / guitarist for local band The Vacant Lot.
2000-02 – Baytrippers original / covers band – lead/rhythm guitar, singer, Josh Johnston – Bass, Tania McBride – vocals, Darren Farley – Drums
2001-03 – Fandango -Jazz band – lead/rhythm guitar
2003-2006 – President Magnetic Island Musician’s Club, involved in organising music nights, PA system and running of club.
2003-05 – Scratch funk and reggae covers band – Lead / rhythm guitar / backing vocals
2003-04- Original band Tricycle -– lead/rhythm guitar, co-singer with Josh Johnston on bass, and DJ on Drums
2004-06 – Babylon – Reggae covers band – lead/rhythm guitar
2004–06 – Original and covers band Live Bait – lead/rhythm guitar, singer, with Josh Johnston on Bass and vox, and Jude Whehay on Drums
2005-06 – Elena Higgins – original songwriter/singer – Lead guitar / drum kit
2007-2008 – Ran twice weekly improvised Jam session at Stingray Café Nelson, New Zealand.
Chris has been a recording musician since 1995
– Writing and composing original music, original on PC using Cubase, and now using a Macintosh with Logic Pro and Guitar Rig.
– 2010 – produce and compose music for “Land of the Painted Mountains” documentary
– 2010 – produce and compose music for Wilderness International Promotional Clips.
– 2010 – Produce and compose all music for joint EP with R’n’B singer Marcus Harmon from New York
– 2010 / 2011 – Bass Guitar with Berlin band “Nitro Injecktiya”
– 2011 – Electric Guitar – with Up Band, Berlin
– 2011 – Lead Guitar with Jah Of York Collective in Berlin
– 2011 – Experimental Jam Sessions between Andrew Clermont – Fiddle/Guitar/Mandolin, Maik Antrack – Bass, and myself on Guitar
– 2012 Olympics concert at Tempelhof Airport in Berlin
– 2013 Denmark Tour with Fiddler’s Feast
– 2014 Concerts in Estonia with Marilla Holmes, Andrew Clermont and Maik Antrack,
also recorded tracks and did concerts with J&R (Rauno Vaher & Johnathan Flack)
– 2015 Performed at Wirrina Bluegrass Festival with band Zen Tripitalia (Andrew Clermont & Rachel Johnston)
While I lived in Australia I taught guitar, bass and drumkit to students (for around 7 years), who came to me via word of mouth recommendation. I taught some adults, but also many children. I very much enjoy teaching and working with anyone who wants to learn. I am told that I am a patient and good teacher ! Most of the children were of beginner level. It was a pleasure to see them progressing.
Everyone that I have ever played with or heard.
The Beatles. Jimi Hendrix. Miles Davis. Rachmaninov. Anton Bruckner. Robert Johnson. Primus. Pink Floyd. Bob Marley. The Verve. Funkadelic. Freddy King. SRV. Buddy Guy. BB King. Led Zeppelin. Elliot Smith. The Stone Roses. Spiritualised. Orchestra Baobab. The Specials. Madness. Toots and the Maytals. Jeff Buckley. My Bloody Valentine. Herbie Hancock. John Martyn.